Activities to try at home:
- Share pleasure in reading with your child. Encourage your child to explore a range of books such as stories, poems, information books and comics. Talk about favourite books and characters.
- Make word and letter sound cards and hide them around your house for your child to find and read. Practise them together in silly voices to make it fun!
- Put 'tricky red words' on doors as passwords for your child to read before entering a room.
- Encourage your child to explore a variety of writing materials e.g. chalk, pens, pencils, crayons. They can practise writing sounds in the air with their magic finger or in sand/flour/shaving foam. Outside they could try painting on the pavement using a paintbrush and water.
- Demonstrate different purposes of writing e.g. shopping lists, letters to friends or family, greeting cards, postcards etc.
Below are some resources and hyperlinks that may be of use to you.